Monday, March 12, 2007

Animated Hellboy is quite enjoyable

Hellboy Animated: Sword of Storms

This animated feature was first broadcast on The Cartoon Network last year and is now on DVD with a ton of extras and a 32-page comic book, to boot.

I've been a fan of Mike Mignola's comic books for years. Hellboy was a baby demon that was rescued from a group of Nazis during the Second World War by Allied troops. His existence has been kept from the rest of the world and as an adult he now works for the Bureau of Paranormal Research & Defense, a government agency that "bumps back the things that go bump in the night."

Mignola's hero is a masterful combination of a hero with a dark side in this case as dark as it gets with the morality of a classic gumshoe like Sam Spade.

The character proved to be a hit with a live action movie and this animated one reunited Ron Perlman, Selma Blair and Doug Jones with the roles they played in the live action film.

The new animated film puts Hellboy in Japan where he an other members of the Bureau must understand why a noted professor has turned loose a pair of ancient Japanese demons.

The animation is well done and this could have been a theatrical feature. I think it will satisfy both fans of the comic as well as those who just know Hellboy through the live action film.

For more information, go to www.gotohellboy.com.

5 comments:

dogboy443 said...

Hi Mike,

I too enjoyed the HellBoy ANimated feature and I'm looking forward to the next movie; Blood & Iron.
What I would like to see from this blog is a personal view of the glut of animated movies by the big studios, all trying to compete with Pixar and trying to find the next big thing. So why a movie like Meet The Robinson's spends a boat load of money to be produced and spends all of 2 weeks or so in the theaters to then find possible salvation on the DVD shelves. Why even have a theatrical release when the studiod already know the movie is going to tank. Don't they do test screenings?

The Other Mark M.

Mark Martin said...

Yo, Mikey. I think you probably know the way to get things hopping over here is to tell eeTeeD that Little Audrey sucks! I'll say something to that effect tomorrow and see if I can send them over here to duke it out. I don't want to post any more today, as I have already posted about Crazy Bissette, and I like to give important stuff a full day at the top of the blog.

CAVEAT: As you also probably know, my posse is very homeboy and don't like to stray too far from the pack. You need to ALLOW ANONYMOUS COMMENTS and turn on the COMMENT MODERATOR. On ALL your blogs. At least, in my humble opinion. You'd get more interaction that way. I think.

The REAL Mark M.
(I feel so SPECIAL having an OTHER! It's like I'm the NASCAR driver and Maztal is ME!)

dogboy443 said...

The OTHER?! I feel like I should be writing in Esperanto.
Just so Jeannie and my fiancee don't get us mixed up all will be right in the world.

BTW, it's Spider Bissette's B-Day today. Make sure to post over at MYRANT!

T.O.M.M.

Mark Martin said...

Thursday update:
Did not mention you at jabberous - waiting to see if you turn on the anon comment feature...

Not that you have to. I'll just blog about you after you do, IF YOU DO.

What are you gonna do, Mystery Man?

dogboy443 said...

Hey Mike,

Blood & Iron was excellent. A better product than the first Animated Hellboy, and that was a great picture too. Watch for it on Cartoon Network or wait a couple months for it's DVD release.

T.O.M.M.